• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland



  • On the basis of the Polish  Law on citizenship, the possession or loss of the Polish Citizenship is determined by the decision of the local authorities in Poland (governor of the province). For people who have never lived in Poland, or whose place of residence in Poland cannot be determined, it is appropriate Mazovian Voivode Office.


    Persons residing outside Poland may apply to the appropriate provincial governor with the application for a declaration of possession or loss of Polish citizenship through the Polish consul. Based on the document entitled "Certificate of Polish citizenship," it will be possible to apply for a Polish passport, if the previous Polish document passport expired many years ago or was never been held.


    Persons who do not hold documents which provide evidence of their Polish citizenship and who would like to clarify whether they still hold this citizenship or have lost it, may apply for confirmation of the Polish Citizenship.


    In case of persons belonging to the second or subsequent generation of Polish emigrants, for the purpose of establishing whether the person has retained Polish citizenship it is indispensable, inter alia, to present a subsequence of documents, commencing with the birth certificate, issued in Poland, of the family member in direct line of descent who at some time settled outside the borders of the Polish state.


    In order to initiate the procedure of confirming the Polish citizenship, following documents should to be submitted to our office:


    • Completed application form for the confirmation of the Polish citizenship - to be filled out in Polish with a detailed autobiography in Polish of the applicant and his/her family, including the details of Polish ancestry.
    • Birth certificate (original)
    • Other documents confirming Polish ancestry (e.g. parents’ or grandparents’ birth, baptism, marriage certificates, copies of Polish passport)
    • Marriage certificate (if applicable)
    • Applicant’s old Polish passport ( if any possessed)
    • Applicant’s current passport or other valid document confirming the nationality and identity of the applicant
    • Act of naturalization of the applicant, his/her parents’ or grandparents’ (whichever applicable)
    • Letter of the attorney for a person who resides in Poland for taking the correspondence on the behalf of applicants during the procedure.
    • Consular fee payable by cash, bank cheque or Postal Order (addressed to Embassy of the Republic of Poland) – according with the chart of consular fee.

    Documents issued in a foreign language shall be accompanied by their translations into Polish language done by a sworn translator registered in Poland.






    Application for confirmation of possession or loss of Polish citizenship



    Print Print Share: